Niger coup plotters have accepted an Algerian mediation and “a six-month transition plan” two months after they took over power from president, Mohamed Bazoum.
The foreign ministry in Algiers announced the new turn of event as military junta had previously suggested three years transition period.
To formalise this new commitment from the military junta, Algerian President, Abdelmadjid Tebboune has tasked Foreign Minister Ahmed Attaf with to visit Niamey as soon as possible with the aim of launching discussions with all stakeholders, a statement issued by Algerian government said.
“The Algerian government has received via the Nigerien ministry of foreign affairs a (statement of) acceptance of Algerian mediation aimed at promoting a political solution to the crisis in Niger,” the ministry said in the statement.
Algeria in August proposed a transition period of up to six months, which would aim to “formulate political arrangements with the acceptance of all parties in Niger without excluding any party”, Attaf said at the time.
In its Monday statement, Algiers said that “the acceptance of the Algerian initiative strengthens the prospect of a political solution to this crisis”.
The mediation would “pave the way” toward a “peaceful” resolution of the crisis, it added, saying such an outcome is in the interest “of the entire region”.
Tebboune on August 6 said he “categorically” rejected any foreign military intervention in Niger, which borders Algeria to the south.